Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Looking Through the Eyes of a Child.

Its weird, I've always known about him but this past week I've seen more Michael Jackson coverage than I ever have before. I didn't realize how he had influenced me. Not until i was sitting there, watching CNN, jaw dropped because I couldn't believe what i was seeing, as the pictures of him flooded the screen and the newscaster carefully chose which music video he was going to show next, i felt tears streaming down my face. Whether we admit it or not, this man influenced ALL of us.

When I watch footage of him and this amazing life he lived I can't help but be in awe. This man literally gave his life to entertain us. Every song we sing, every dance step, every clothing style, was all inspired by something he did. He was probably one of the most talented human beings to ever walk this earth. He was so soft spoken, so child like. I think the fact he called his home Neverland speaks volumes on his character. Wanting to be a child forever, building an amusement park in his backyard so people could come enjoy being in Neverland with him. and then I think of all of the trials he went through, despite all the good he did, people couldn't leave him alone. Accusing him, mocking him, so much negativity forced upon such a tender heart. He probably never felt like a real human being. I understand now why he covered his children's faces when they went out in public. He was guarding their hearts and their minds from the same kind of ridicule he received. 

When we finally meet our maker we will be made perfect. I can't help thinking about him in heaven, being made perfect. Done with all of the flaws he thought he had. Finally being seen the way our great heavenly father sees him. He may not have found much peace here on earth, but I know he will find peace in heaven, resting in His creator, who loves him perfectly.

Today I was watching his memorial service. His family was up on stage talking about him, talking to him. Finally giving us a picture of what he was like being just another member of a family. And then his beautiful daughter takes the mic, and while choking back sobs she confesses to the entire world that her daddy was the best father you could ever imagine, and that she loved him so much. Her words were so heartfelt and pure. Children only speak the truth. I couldn't help thinking that this was probably the greatest thing that was ever said about him. Despite all the pompous judgment he had on his life from people who didn't even know him. The fact that his child had enough courage to stand in front of millions and tell them the truth about him. Perhaps this one statement said in truth and pure heartfelt love can wipe away all the hurt and judgment that was put upon him.

He called a little child and had him stand among them. And he said: "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven."And whoever welcomes a little child like this in my name welcomes me.  Matthew 18: 2-5




1 comment:

  1. Aw Kendall that was beautiful.

    I have never thought about him in that way before.
    I always just believed what everyone said about him.
    It is true, he is being made perfect in heaven.
    I feel bad for ever looking at him with judgmental eyes.
    I wasn't an eye- witness to anything he was accused of. Therefore, me saying anything about him is bearing false witness.

    He influenced our cultural in SO many positive ways!
    I am glad that some of the last words spoken publicly about him were the beautiful, truthful words of his child!

    ReplyDelete